Daniel Egger in Brazil asked how to design a new performance management process for a large bank.
In my experience there are only 3 aspects of a performance management process that ever impact individual behaviour, and therefore business results;
– the degree to which the manager understands the company’s strategy and goals.
– the quality of the on-going conversation between the manager and employee.
– the support from the manager which follows from this conversation.
So my advice was to;
– Put line managers in charge of the design process, and charge them with improving the quality of the conversations happening around the business.
– Ensure any of the (limited!) structures, forms, processes and systems put in place support the conversation.
– Keep away from elements designed to produce “data”.
Here’s the original conversation .
What would YOU change about your performance management system?
Please join the discussion by leaving a comment below. Thanks.